Saturday, February 09, 2008

Grandpa Al

I was the goofy kid down the street. I'd stop over at Al and Bette's home unannounced. And never once did they act put out. He didn't need my company - his life was full, his kids were adults, and a 7 year old kid...well, he'd done that already.

He'd let me pal around with him in the garden or down in the woodshop. As he went about his business, he made sure I was learning the trade. An early morning found us putting the boat in the water for an adventure on the high seas of Lake Michigan - the fish were safe that day.

When I kept falling down while learning to cross country ski, I'd get so frustrated. Knowing that misery loves company, Al would take a dive now and then...just so I wouldn't be alone lying in the snow.

My grandparents lived in other states. And after my father's death, his parents didn't stay in contact. Grandparents' day at school would have been a huge bummer...except that Al would be there waiting. He take an interest in my schoolwork and eat some lunch with me. He didn't have to...he just did.

He served his country in World War II. He served his community as a volunteer. He servced God through his church. He served his family as a husband, father, and provider. And this humble man served a seven year old kid from down the street.

I learned a little bit about gardening, woodwork, boating, and skiing from Al. But more than any of that, his gentle presence taught me about God's love. The gifts he gave me I carry in my soul even today.

Al lost his battle with cancer last week. But this "loss" created the opportunity for him to walk the victor's walk. Today, he see clearly what he saw as only a dim reflection in his life - God's love for him. By God's grace, you ran well, Grandpa Al. Godspeed...

Matt...the kid down the road...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

matt,you wrote such a meaningful blog. i praise god for how he speaks and works through you. would i be wrong to say i am very proud of you.?

Anonymous said...

Matt:
Thank you for kind words about my dad, Allan Carpenter. I'm glad and proud he was such a meaningful influence on you. If you'd like to see some recent photos of him (my daughter's wedding June 2007) check out my son Nate's site at twocarpenters.blogspot.com and look at the photos sidebar. My favorite is Al and Bette dancing . . . . God bless you in your ministry; we'll have to meet sometime.
---Jeff Carpenter

Anonymous said...

Matt,
Many thanks to you for your wonderful tribute to my grandpa. It has been of great comfort to know, even with his passing, that grandpa touched so many in his life and that his legacy of kindness and love will continue to live on through them. Bless you.
Marielle Canter Weikel

twocarpenters said...

Matt,

It means so much to know that Grandpa was as loving and generous to "adopted" grandchildren as he was to his own! His life was truly an expression of what it means to be a Christlike servant--thank you for witnessing to God's faithfulness through Grandpa's life.
--Nathan Carpenter

Anonymous said...

Matt,
Your tribute to Dad really touched me. Dad never did things to take credit - he was the quiet guy behind the scenes that did what needed to be done. And I'm sure he saw in you a young man who desperately needed a 'Granddad' in his life. I am thankful for his influence in your life, and also thankful to you for sharing it with us. God bless your ministry to others. May Dad's loving spirit live on in you and the countless other lives he touched.
--Jane Carpenter Sneeringer

fetzer said...

Obviously I haven't visited a while but I loved this post. It really does put life into perspective. So who am I investing in?